Thursday, November 15, 2012

Gluten free

I eat you!
{Dinner at Carnevino in Vegas}

Sometimes I tell people that I'm gluten free instead of going down the whole "I'm paleo" route.

It's easier... Paleo often involves a long conversation about what I can't eat (stuff you will now tell me you couldn't live without)... Is it like the Atkins diet (no)... Is it anti-vegetarian (no).... Are you crazy (no one can prove that yet)...

The reality is that paleo is still a bit controversial in the eyes of the general public, and sometimes I just want to be in the vicinity of cake, and have a real excuse not to eat it.

"Here's a sample"

"Oh, no thanks! I'm gluten free."

But sometimes this back fires: "Oh, well we have gluten free too!"

(Why can't I just say no thanks? Who cares, that's not what this post is about.)

So sometimes I just say "I'm gluten free." But I usually say it in a way to keep people from asking more questions.


Gluten free: accepted among the masses as something that some people need because otherwise they get sick.

Paleo: something that crazy people do which will only lead to their early death due to their consumption of fats and animal products. Not necessary and certainly vegetarian haters. 

Sometimes it's just easier being the hippy than it is being the nutritional rebel. But there are a few things I've noticed about posing as a gluten free being. People who choose gluten free get their fair share of discrimination and awkward conversations. 

Here's a favorite: if you stop eating gluten then you will not be able to eat it in the future because your body won't be used to it.... So you are telling me that its like poison... I have to keep eating it for my body to be used to it anymore, and if I stop then my body just can't handle it?... Interesting. Sounds like a necessary food (this is sarcasm).

I've had people tell me that celiac disease isn't real. Why don't I just go to the doctor and know for sure instead of experimenting with my diet for no reason... They can't actually prove gluten intolerance anyway... Blah blah blah. 

All I hear is: you are doing something which makes me question my own opinions on food. Stop it because it freaks me out. I am not a doctor but I will quote things that I think doctors would say.


But I'm happy with my choices. I'm now one and a half years paleo, and even when I cheat I try to be gluten free... And why: because gluten really does affect me. I don't have a habit of flailing from diet to diet, except for attempting vegetarianism every few years. And I have never felt better than I have in the last year and a half. So whether or not you believe that gluten is bad, or paleo is a crock... I am benefiting.


4 comments:

  1. Don't make people question their beliefs! It hurts their braaaiiiinnn... especially if they heard otherwise on an OMGNETFLIXDOCUMENTARY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have I mentioned how much I love this picture of you? That's sure to get anyone excited about paleo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My biggest pet peeve is people not believeing in gluten intolerance and celiac, It takes all my willpower not to scream at people, but usually going through my symptoms if I ingest gluten shuts them right up - so would you like to watch me puke, have stabbing stomach cramps and crap my pants intermintently for the next 8 hours? Oh and then feel like I was hit by a truck for 3 days afterwards and get a migraine? NO you don't then shut up about gluten allergies not being real.

    and my little rant is over ;) Also what is that? it looks giant and delicious!

    ReplyDelete